Gabriela Rosario '20, a junior at Central Catholic, was recently selected as one of only 100 students nationwide to become a SCS Noonan Scholar – a prestigious six-year program offering academic, career development, and financial support the remainder of high school and throughout college. Almost 1,000 students applied for this program with an only 10% acceptance rate.
According to the SCS Noonan Scholars Program, the mission is “to help high-achieving low-income underrepresented students get into - and graduate from - top colleges equipped to achieve their full career potential.”
Gabriela’s journey began when CCHS graduate Radhames Nova ‘93 contacted Central Catholic’s School & College Counseling Team inquiring about a candidate for the SCS Noonan Scholars Program. Gabriela’s name topped the list as a student with a stellar academic portfolio and lengthy list of school involvement.
In late January, the Counseling Team encouraged Gabriela to apply, and after she completed her due diligence, she was intrigued by what she learned. “At first, I thought it was simply a college prep program, but it is ten times more than that. It’s a game changer for me!” Throughout the process, Gabriela also received face-to-face mentoring from Radhames Nova '93.
The SCS Noonan Scholar program, which is open solely to high school juniors, begins the summer before a student’s senior year of high school:
- Over the next two summers, Gabriela will participate in Summer Academy - a six-week, comprehensive residential summer program where students participate in college-level academics.
- This summer (2019), she will attend the Summer Academy at Amherst College, where students also have the opportunity to meet face-to-face with college recruiters from highly-selective institutions.
- The summer before her senior year (2020), Gabriela will participate in the Summer Academy at University of Southern California in Los Angeles, CA.
- Scholars are then assigned an advisor for their entire college career – helping them select colleges, apply and navigate financial aid options, and later assisting with internship, co-op and career opportunities.
- Scholars also receive an annual stipend and a computer as part of the program.
For Gabriela, who wants to be a Physical Therapist, becoming an SCS Noonan Scholar feels like freedom. “I can look at colleges without any limits and that is a huge weight off my shoulders. It’s liberating to have such support through the SCS Noonan Scholars program and I am honored to be selected. I didn’t even realize how big of a deal it was until I was called to Mr. Sullivan’s (CCHS President) office and he hugged me and was almost in tears. He told me this opportunity is life changing…and it really is.”
In addition to being an honors student, Gabriela somehow finds time to participate in the Lawrence YMCA’s Teen Achievers Program, helps teach a confirmation class on Sunday’s at St. Mary’s in Lawrence, MA, and has shadowed Physical Therapists at nursing homes and elementary schools. Gabriela’s younger sister Daniela Rosario '22, is currently a freshman at Central Catholic.
Learn more about the SCS Noonan Scholar Program at www.scsnoonan.org.
"Congratulations, Gabriela! The entire CCHS community is so proud of your outstanding accomplishment!